South Africa Aquatics Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Get temp. of water right for water change

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
tomk

tomk

Get temp. of water right for water change Empty
PostSubject: Get temp. of water right for water change   Get temp. of water right for water change EmptyThu 06 Sep 2012, 21:17

We all know how cold it gets during winter and doing a water change can be a challenge to make sure your temp. does not drop too low. So I build myself a heater with which I can quickly get 70lt of water to the right temp.

I bought a geyser element and mounted it like this with resin. All electrical parts is covered with resin. The third picture is before the resin and as you can see, very dangerous.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I then hang it in my container, with a pump circulating the water, otherwise the bottom stays cold and the top overheat, so you can not take accurate measurements.

This worked fine, but the resin developed small cracks, so I mounted the whole contraption in a 5lt ice cream bucket.

Now I feel much safer knowing that water can not get to the electrical parts.

Only problem now is I can not leave and forget it, as it will overheat and start to boil!
Back to top Go down
tomk

tomk

PostSubject: Re: Get temp. of water right for water change   Get temp. of water right for water change EmptyFri 07 Sep 2012, 00:19

Warning - Way not to do it!

If your element is not covered in water all the way to the top, it is going to overheat, melt, short circuit and can burn your house down!

Back to top Go down
Barries
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Get temp. of water right for water change   Get temp. of water right for water change EmptyFri 07 Sep 2012, 10:02

Damn! Clever idea Tom! Why didn't I think of that? Jip during winter water changes are a huge hickup! I've got a 210liter drum that I'm going to use! Thanks for sharing the info Tom
Back to top Go down
Khalid

PostSubject: Re: Get temp. of water right for water change   Get temp. of water right for water change EmptyWed 12 Sep 2012, 14:24

Hi TomK
Great idea.
Where do get the resin used?
Back to top Go down
tomk

tomk

PostSubject: Re: Get temp. of water right for water change   Get temp. of water right for water change EmptyWed 12 Sep 2012, 16:29

I had some left over from the fibre glass job on my pool. I bought it at my local paint shop. I suppose any resin will do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Get temp. of water right for water change   Get temp. of water right for water change Empty

Back to top Go down

Get temp. of water right for water change
Page 1 of 1