South Africa Aquatics Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Incubating eggs

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
johanbosman

Incubating eggs Empty
PostSubject: Incubating eggs   Incubating eggs EmptyThu 20 Sep 2012, 17:01

Hey everyone.
What method do you use to incubate the eggs? Hatching time?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/512920725398648/
Barries
Admin

Incubating eggs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Incubating eggs   Incubating eggs EmptyThu 20 Sep 2012, 17:28

Hello, where to start! Ok,what specie or species are you mentioning? Are they from a wild population or an aquarium strain ect ect ect? We incubate almost all our semi-annual species on a canadian peat and coco palm peat mix. My fishroom is fairly warm,around 28C +- so I incubate for 10 to 15 days, they fry hatch around 2 to 4 days after wetting,I've noticed that some hatch the same day.
Back to top Go down
Barries
Admin

Incubating eggs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Incubating eggs   Incubating eggs EmptyThu 20 Sep 2012, 17:37

I use the above method for all semi-annuals incuding Aphyosemions,Epiplatys,Aplocheilus and Fundulopanchax species,keep inmind that its just my method I use so please share your methodes aswell
Back to top Go down
johanbosman

Incubating eggs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Incubating eggs   Incubating eggs EmptyThu 20 Sep 2012, 17:46

I also incubate on peat moss in batches of 20eggs for my aphyosemion calliurum.I use a polystyrene cooler for the incubation.It keep the temp constant.The temp inside stays about 26 deg C.Hatching time takes about 14 - 16 days with +-2 out of 20 eggs ending up with fungus.I'm now also trying the water method.
Back to top Go down
Barries
Admin

Incubating eggs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Incubating eggs   Incubating eggs EmptyThu 20 Sep 2012, 18:29

Excellent Johan,thanks for sharing the info! I'm no good with photos,if you can please take photos and add them here.Most semi-annual fry can manage newly. Hatched brine shrimps up hatching! I use a cocktail of foods, brine shrimp, micro worms and daphnia.Some crushed flakes are also exepted I try to keep my killies on a strictly live food diet but I use good quality flakes and pellets also.
Back to top Go down
johanbosman

Incubating eggs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Incubating eggs   Incubating eggs EmptyThu 20 Sep 2012, 18:54

I will add some pics soon.I also use a combination of baby brine shrimps and microworms.My daphnia culture is still small but coming along nicely.
Back to top Go down
Barries
Admin

Incubating eggs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Incubating eggs   Incubating eggs EmptyFri 21 Sep 2012, 11:31

During July I had a stroke of bad luck,mother nature gave me a wake up call! I lost almost all my species over a weekend! Thanks to Mr Genade,I managed to save a couple,the eggs are very tough and can take a huge temp drop.Thanks Mr Genade,your knowledge and help is appreciated!
Back to top Go down
johanbosman

Incubating eggs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Incubating eggs   Incubating eggs EmptyFri 21 Sep 2012, 15:12

What happened Barries?
Back to top Go down
Barries
Admin

Incubating eggs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Incubating eggs   Incubating eggs EmptyFri 21 Sep 2012, 15:24

Phew its a long story Johan! Never keep all your eggs in one basket! I worked swing shifts and Eskom was working on our power grit! They have been doing it like forever! Anyway,the power cable that supplied the electricity to the heats couldn't take the on and off,it burst! When I got home the water Temp in my top tanks were 4C,I lost a lot of fish mate! Notho,Fp,Aphy,Simps endlers,guppies, ancistrus,catfish even the apple snails died!
Back to top Go down
johanbosman

Incubating eggs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Incubating eggs   Incubating eggs EmptyFri 21 Sep 2012, 15:30

ouch that is a huge loss.
Back to top Go down
Barries
Admin

Incubating eggs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Incubating eggs   Incubating eggs EmptyFri 21 Sep 2012, 15:50

We learn by our mistakes my friend! I've redone my fishroom and it won't happen again! Its a pity that I lost all the species! I would have helped you with a couple.Never cry over spilt milk! I've got some stunning species now and waiting for a couple of new species to come,thanks to the guys in the UK,Mick, Dave,George,Simon,Steve and my very good friend from the USA Pablo, and my friend in Sweden Andreas and Timi in Hungary thanks mates! I appreciat all the help! You guys made it possible for me to spread the kindness and sharing of species! I will spread the species all over South Africa
Back to top Go down
nesretep

Incubating eggs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Incubating eggs   Incubating eggs EmptyFri 21 Sep 2012, 18:47

Iiiiiits the woooorld, the world in uniooon, the woooorld, as oooone, he he, thats why I love this hobby, not just the fish (though I love my bettas to be sure), but the good people and their friendly positive attitude, along with their want to help affect something which is begger than themselves in a positive way< the general fish keeping hobby, its why I like the term fish keeper, it implies care, and appreciation, but not true ownership, it's not about posession, and we would do well to remember that.

big props and much respect to both Barries, and especially to all those that have been willing to assist him in all this.
Back to top Go down
Barries
Admin

Incubating eggs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Incubating eggs   Incubating eggs EmptyMon 01 Oct 2012, 13:08

WoW that's Nes for the positive words! You know me for awhile now and know that I will always try to help if possible,I'm a total fish geek lol My methods doesn't always sound sound but then again I'm a practical person,I learn the hard way! Guys please feel free to ask me for any info,if I can help I will if not I will find somebody that can help
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Incubating eggs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Incubating eggs   Incubating eggs Empty

Back to top Go down

Incubating eggs
Page 1 of 1