South Africa Aquatics Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

my barrack system

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
nesretep

my barrack system Empty
PostSubject: my barrack system   my barrack system EmptySun 25 Nov 2012, 02:35

So this is what has been keeping my bussy on weekends for the past three weeks, keeping in mind this could all be done in an afternoon (except the silicone drying time), howerver, I don't often have that much free time, so it has had to have been portioned into 30 minute to 1 hour slots.

The containers used are plastic, and simply have a hoel burnt or drilled in the top corners on one side, to which I have inserted and siliconed a drainage pipe, which flows into the pvc drain pipe. There is also a hole in the lid through which the tubing from the "spray bar" is interted, to create the constant water flow.

The spray bar is simply a bit of tubing with spray nozzles (the kind you can get at a gardening centre or diy store) these are siliconed so that they do not leack, then some airline tubing is simple pressed on to the nozzles, this will also allow you to use a regular air clamp to regulate flow rates into the containers.
[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img]

The cover is simply a piece of cable racking, with holes drilled to accomodate the nozzles, it also gives rigidity, and cuts the light which can enter the tubing, hopefully retarding the formation of algea (just in case)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Bar assembly

The diffuser, which goes at the bottom end of the drain to prevent the return flow just dumping in one spot.
bottom view

top view

This is then attached to the drain end simply using a long cable tie running through it, up to a piece of offcut from the cable racking.
Drain end side view.

top view.

diffuser in place.

I decided to use one of those storage containers as a sump for a couple of reasons, they are not easily damaged, in comparrison to glass, it is also completely non transparrent, so should help again with algea concerns, plus fairly cheap, and often on special at various places.
so for the filter madia trays I went with "ice cream" containers, as they are cheap, and stackable, just cut out the bottom and siliconed in some plastic mesh to allow drainage, and modified the sides with scissors to get the preferred internal hight for the filter media space.

Tray unmodified.
modified top view.
modified side view.
mesh.
tray complete.

tray stacked.

stacked tray test fit 01.
test fit 02.

Filter media, from left to right, 1-plastic scrubbers over filter wool, 2-filter sponge, 3-ceramic noodles, 4-clay micro balls thingies (I forget the name).
filter complete.

barracks with drainage lines.

Barracks with the feed bar in place.

Complete install front view.
angled view.
side view.

I also have two 50w heaters inside the storage container to provide a little temperature controll, as I don't have an actual fish room where the ambiant temperature can be regulated.

feel free to ask questions if anything is unclear.

Back to top Go down

my barrack system Empty
PostSubject: Re: my barrack system   my barrack system EmptyThu 29 Nov 2012, 14:54

That's an INSANE amount of work that's gone into something that looks so neat and compact! Very spiffy! :-D
Back to top Go down
Barries
Admin

my barrack system Empty
PostSubject: Re: my barrack system   my barrack system EmptySat 04 May 2013, 00:58

Looks great!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

my barrack system Empty
PostSubject: Re: my barrack system   my barrack system Empty

Back to top Go down

my barrack system
Page 1 of 1