South Africa Aquatics Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Brine Shrimp Hatching Chamber

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
nesretep

Brine Shrimp Hatching Chamber Empty
PostSubject: Brine Shrimp Hatching Chamber   Brine Shrimp Hatching Chamber EmptyTue 21 Aug 2012, 22:42

Something useful you figured out, or constructed/modified, feel free to share your knowledge if you don't mind.
Back to top Go down
nesretep

PostSubject: Baby brine shrimp hatcher/sorter   Brine Shrimp Hatching Chamber EmptyTue 21 Aug 2012, 23:36

So I hate having to struggle with sorting hatched bbs from the eggs, and regardless of how carefull I am, I always seem to end up with a few unhatched eggs/egg shells in amongst the lot. So I read an article somewhere (I'll try find it to give the auther his due), were it was suggested that the brineshrimps attraction to light could be used to sepparate them, beyound the standard light next to the bottle(hatchery) method, and the following pics are the result, and I find it works really well.
First block off your container so that light can not enter it when it is closed, do this for all except one end.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You need to have some way of deviding the blocked off side from the open side internaly, and it also has to be able to stop light from passing through, then make a hole in this about half way up, keep in mind that we will have to find a way to seal and open the hole as we need to. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I used two peices of scrap perspex, with a third smaller peice to act as kind of sluice gate. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Basic idea is to hatch the bbs on the closed in side, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] .After they have hatched, and the airation has been switched off for a while to allow the unhatched eggs and the empty egg shells to either settle on the bottom, or float as the case may be. Then all you need to do is open the hole to allow the shrimp to swim through to open side, attracted by the light, putting a lamp at the open end will help, and so all the eggs/shells are left on the other side. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Barries
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Brine Shrimp Hatching Chamber   Brine Shrimp Hatching Chamber EmptyThu 23 Aug 2012, 20:38

Excewllent idea! Next time you visit my please bring one with Mnes flower
Back to top Go down
tomk

tomk

PostSubject: Re: Brine Shrimp Hatching Chamber   Brine Shrimp Hatching Chamber EmptyMon 03 Sep 2012, 04:27

This is by far the best BBS hatching container I have ever seen and I have seen a few on the web. It is very practical and I will for sure attempt building my own. The pictures should be displayed in the post, to get a better idea. However, nothing beats the real thing to get a feel for it. Thanks for showing, nesretep!

I am showing the pics direct, as I find it iritating to go click on each link. You guys with mobile devices will prob hate me for it! Mod, feel free to delete if it is a problem. Smile

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brine Shrimp Hatching Chamber   Brine Shrimp Hatching Chamber Empty

Back to top Go down

Brine Shrimp Hatching Chamber
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
South Africa Aquatics Society :: General :: DIY-
Jump to: